Wouldn’t you know that I managed to unearth a few more mixes?! Five more, to be exact, and only one of them is mine (which is either a good thing or not). The other four are Cousin Matt originals, but I’ll begin with my lone contribution to this stack. Based on the name, I still have no idea just what in the hell the title refers to. The “22” I get as there are 22 songs, and the “01” must be a reference to the year I made it (2001). But the “25”? I haven’t got the foggiest. [UPDATE: I’m thinking maybe it was the 25th day of whatever month I recorded it?] So, if any of you heard this compilation before, do me a favor and let me know if you know why it’s got this name. I’m completely stumped.
Based on the year, I must have made this one while living Boston. What’s more, it kicks off with a song from a great yet highly underrated album, Japancakes’ The Sleepy Strange (Kindercore). Sure, the Pitchfork review I linked to essentially panned it, but so what. Pitchfork, after all, is wrong quite a bit, and in this case just didn’t get it. As it turns out, the record’s name is pretty damn apt, as it’s a slow, strange, albeit comforting instrumental that not quite post-rock. In addition to Japancakes, it’s nice to see The Avalanches’ Since I Left You represented, which remains a great “party” record, should you be throwing a party anytime soon. (And for the record, Pitchfork loved it.) It’s a whole lot of Girl Talk pre-Girl Talk. Sort of. Sure, I also see The Strokes Is This It represented, as well as Spoon’s Girls Can Tell. But one of the other great records given its due here is How I Long to Feel That Summer In My Heart by Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci. This record holds up ridiculously well in its unabashed sweetness and undeniable hooks. One of the things that works so well is the near whisper of lead singer Euros Childs, whose voice never seems strained. It’s effortless, really. In fact, I saw Gorky’s open for Of Montreal at Schubas in Chicago back in 1999 or so. I got to drink beers with Of Montreal frontman Kevin Barnes after words. Strange fella, great band.
Unfortunately, I never made cover art for this mix, so the links will have to do. Enjoy.
1. Japancakes – “This Year’s Beat”
2. Built to Spill – “Strange”
3. Sparklehorse – “It’s a Wonderful Life”
4. Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks – “Vague Space”
5. Mazarin – “My Favorite Green Hill”
6. Guided By Voices – “How’s My Drinking?”
7. The Reindeer Section – “Will You Please Be There for Me?”
8. Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci – “How I Long”
9. Silver Jews – “Time Will Break the World”
10. Radiohead – “I Might Be Wrong”
11. The Avalanches – “Frontier Psychiatrist”
12. Migala – “Suburbian Empty Movie Theatre”
13. Clem Snide – “Chinese Baby”
14. The White Stripes – “I Can’t Wait”
15. Beulah – “Cruel Minor Change”
16. The New Pornographers – “The Body Says No”
17. Rocket From the Crypt – “Return of the Liar”
18. The Strokes – “Take It or Leave It”
19. The Shins – “Know Your Onion!”
20. For Stars – “If I Could”
21. Spoon – “Anything You Want”
22. Mogwai – “2 Rights Make 1 Wrong”
Well, that’ll do it for this time. Stay tuned for some more Cousin Matt mixes as we ease into Spring and Summer.
Until next time, have at it, you vultures!