You see that? Sure you do. That’s an illustration of an erect wang. Why do I share this with you? Because my good pal, Mike, was kind enough to include that in the package he sent me containing his lastest mix, John Locke. Now, I’m sure you rember Mike, the guy responsible for mixes like this one. Well, not only is Mike a swell fella and a little brother to me, but he’s got a gift for the arts, as clearly demonstrated in the drawing above.
But I digress. I haven’t gathered you here to discuss Mike’s visual masterpiece, but his audio one. Like me, Mike is a huge fan of LOST. And knowing that I am also a music snob with tastes similar to Mike, he took it upon himself to create a mix in honor of the man who I’ll assume is his favorite character on the show, John Locke. So why then do I post this to my blog? Because the concept is fucking brilliant! I sincerely applaud Mike for his effort. I mean, holy hell! What’s more, I’m absolutely and completely jealous I didn’t come up with this idea myself. Hell, next thing you know I’ll be trying to shit out a Ben Linus mix. (Unless, of course, Mike you’ve already begun the process? And by the way, nobody wants to hear a Driveshaft song, so you can forget that right here and now.)
Just a few notes on some of the songs below. First, Modest Mouse’s “Buttons to Push the Buttons” is a fantastic track from, I’d say, their greatest release not named This Is a Long Drive for Someone With Nothing to Think About. “Buttons” is off Interstate 8, an oft-overlooked record as it was a limited release and wrongly labeled as an EP. I urge you to give it a listen at your earliest convenience, as it’s fantastic. The other note I want to make it is just how amazed I am at how spot-on some of these song choices are in reference to Locke. Seriously, it’s downright uncanny. I have to think there are plenty of songs Mike missed, but let’s face it: it’s a mix CD. You can only fit so many songs. If you think of any other contenders, by all means leave them in the Comments section.
John Locke front cover.
John Locke interior art.
1. Okkervil River – “Black Sheep Boy”
2. Starlight Mints – “Paralyzed”
3. The Cave Singers – “Helen”
4. The Shins – “Australia”
5. Atlas Sound with Noah Lennox – “Walkabout”
6. Pavement – “Hit the Plane Down”
7. Devendra Banhardt – “An Island”
8. Modest Mouse – “Beach Side Property”
9. Guided By Voices – “My Valuable Hunting Knife”
10. Guided By Voices – “Bomb In the Bee-Hive”
11. Modest Mouse – “Buttons to Push the Buttons”
12. Jethro Tull – “Dharma for One”
13. Frank Black – “Los Angeles”
14. Pearl Jam – “Jeremy”
15. Husker Du – “Standing By the Sea”
16. Joy Division – “Candidate”
17. Bob Marley – “Crazy Baldheads”
18. Frank Black – “Men in Black”
19. Modest Mouse – “Perfect Disguise”
20. Bright Eyes – “Smoke Without Fire”
21. The Misfits – “Die Monster Die”
Well, that’ll do it for this stab at Locke and the rest of LOST pals. Again, thanks for the mix, Mike. Until next time, have at it, you vultures!