Today’s post is another mix created by my lady, Michelle, whose other mixes you can find here , here and here. Slicing Up Eyeballs gets its title from a lyric in the Pixies’ “Debaser,” which happens to be the first song on the mix. It just so happens to be the first song on their record Doolittle. Why is this important? Well, because Slicing Up Eyeballs is composed entirely of “first songs.” See, she and I talked about this idea some time ago, wherein we’d make each other a mix comprising nothing but first songs from albums. It’s tougher than you think, in that some bands have several great first songs. And that, by the way, is part of the criteria: a band can only be represented once on your mix. For instance, she couldn’t have included both “Debaser” and, say, “Bone Machine” off of Surfa Rosa. Oh, and in case your wondering, my list is in the works. I’ve come to a standstill in that nearly all of my digital music is on my now-fried external drive. Jerk.
I should point out that, once I make my mix, we’re inevitably going to have some of the same songs, and that’s something we both signed off on. I mean, do you really think I’m going to make a “first song” mix and not include, say, “My Name is Jonas”?! Please. In looking at the selections below, I was able to find original versions of all 22 songs except for Guided By Voices’ “Fair Touching”; instead, I was forced to include a cover by some band called Po-ha. And while I’m not familiar with them, I can safely say that their name is downright awful.
The cover art (and the song “Debaser”) alludes to the Surrealist classic Un Chien Andalou, co-written by Salvador Dali and Luis Buñuel.
Slicing Up Eyeballs cover art.
Slicing Up Eyeballs:
1. Pixies – “Debaser” (Doolittle)
2. Built to Spill – “In the Morning” (There’s Nothing Wrong With Love)
3. Guided By Voices – “Fair Touching“* (Isolation Drills)
4. Pinback – “Non Photo-Blue” (Summer in Abaddon)
5. Sufjan Stevens – “Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois” (Illinois)
6. The Beta Band – “Squares” (Hot Shots II)
7. The Microphones – “Ocean 1, 2, 3” (Don’t Wake Me Up)
8. Smog – “Bathysphere” (Wild Love)
9. Arcade Fire – “Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)” (Funeral)
10. Sonic Youth – “Teen Age Riot” (Daydream Nation)
11. Modest Mouse – “Dramamine” (This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About)
12. PJ Harvey – “Rid of Me” (Rid of Me)
13. Sleater-Kinney – “Call the Doctor” (Call the Doctor)
14. Fugazi – “Waiting Room” (13 Songs)
15. Weezer – “My Name is Jonas” (Weezer)
16. Neutral Milk Hotel – “King of Carrot Flowers Pt. 1” (In the Aeroplane Over the Sea)
17. Cat Stevens – “The Wind” (Teaser & The Firecat)
18. The Jesus & Mary Chain – “Just Like Honey” (Psychocandy)
19. Helium – “Pat’s Trick” (The Dirt of Luck)
20. Liz Phair – “6’1″” (Exile in Guyville)
21. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists – “Me and Mia” (Shake the Sheets)
22. The Rolling Stones – “Rocks Off” (Exile On Main Street)
Well, that’ll do it for this time. Other themed mixes are in the works, including my own “first song” mix (one day). What are some of your favorite first songs? Have you made a “first song” mix of your own? Post it in the comments sections.
Thanks to the lady for this whoop-ass mix. And until next time, have at it, you vultures!